China links: Salafism, Afghanistan, urban segregation, Kenny G and more
- Danwei has published its annual list of the best China blogs. Plenty of hints here for good China reading.
- Chinese firms are ramping up R&D spending, although it is still a fraction of US spending.
- Xi Jinping wants his nation to build think tanks with international reputations, but adds they should be led by the Party and exhibit Chinese characteristics. (Thanks Danni.)
- Kenny G: The newest ‘foreign force’ in Hong Kong.
- Afghanistan’s new president Ashraf Ghani is on his first overseas trip, to China. Here’s my recent analysis on China’s foreign policy in Afghanistan.
- A good introduction to Chinese salafism and its links to Saudi Arabia.
- Q&A with Luigi Tomba on the segregation of Chinese cities. Julian Snelder nicely outlines some of the key points from Tomba’s latest book.
- Part 1 and part 2 of a podcast on the future of China’s nuclear energy.
- A quick visit through some of China’s strangest buildings. (Thanks Sam.)